September 30, 2021
“Today is an important day, a day where we remember those whom we’ve lost. It is a day to honour the residential school survivors, their families, and our communities, and a day where we’re reminded that we need to continue to advocate for justice and for the rights of Inuit.
We as Inuit, must remember that although our people have been, and still go through hardships and the consequences of damaging colonial policies, we continue to be strong and resilient, and we strive forward in our healing journeys.
Reconciliation is a path that requires all Canadians to work together and recognize the history of injustice against Inuit, but also acknowledge the achievements and contributions of our people. We encourage non-Indigenous Canadians to join us on this path of truth and reconciliation by:
- Taking part in our celebrations such as Inuit Day and National Indigenous Peoples Day;
- Learn Pauktuutit’s history and where Inuit women are today;
- Allowing Inuit to share their truths in a welcoming way, as well as spending time with our Elders and listening to their history and principles of Inuit worldview;
- Being open to learn from and about Inuit, our culture, our past, our story; and
- Creating safe environments that are welcoming for all indigenous peoples.
There is still a long road ahead of us, and Pauktuutit continues to call on all levels of government to work alongside Inuit organizations to implement the 94 Truth and Reconciliation Calls to Action and the MMIWG Action Plan to address key issues in our communities such as: inadequate housing, poverty, inadequate health care, access to counselling and healing supports.
We are strong, and resilient, we will keep moving forward together in the path of reconciliation and healing, to be able to build a better and stronger future for our people.”
Rebecca Kudloo, President
Pauktuutit Inuit Women of Canada
Pauktuutit Inuit Women of Canada is the national non-profit organization representing all Inuit women in Canada.
For more information, please contact:
firstname.lastname@example.org / 613-238-3977 Ext. 271