Pauktuutit has been advocating for the social, cultural, political and economic betterment of Inuit women, their families and communities since 1984. Pauktuutit is the national representative organization of Inuit women in Canada and is governed by a 14-member Board of Directors from across Canada. It fosters greater awareness of the needs of Inuit women, advocates for equality and social improvements, and encourages their participation in the community, regional and national life of Canada. By working with the government, community leaders and Inuit organizations, we support Inuit women to reach their full potential in safe, happy communities.
The Bookkeeper position will be primarily responsible for providing accounting related support to the Director of Finance. Supporting Pauktuutit’s accounting/bookkeeping specific needs with respect to accounts receivable/payable, payroll and benefits.
- Prepare bills and invoices related to organization services rendered along with purchases and expenses for the organization
- Record payments and expenses by entering them into accounting software including the date paid, amount, method of payment and any balance due.
- Prepare cash and check payments for bank deposit. Calculating and recording the deposit amounts, filling out deposit slips, and bundling the funds and slips.
- Reconcile the accounts receivables to ensure that all payments are accounted for and properly posted. Research any discrepancies by checking bills, invoices, sales receipts and bank deposit records. You may perform this duty daily, weekly or monthly.
- Generate monthly, quarterly or annual financial statements and reports detailing paid and unpaid invoices and both accounts receivable and payable activity.
- Accurately record invoices, employee expenses and supplier invoices, follow up to collect payment and ensure that supplier payments are made on time.
- Reconcile bank and credit card statements, and analyze balance sheet accounts on a regular basis.
- Prepare quarterly government remittances for HST and EHT annual returns.
- Support the management of payroll and benefits including all related remittances and reporting.
- Support the preparation of month and year-end working papers for assets, liabilities, revenue and expenditure accounts.
- Solve accounting puzzles by researching and reconciling discrepancies, and ensure that the accounting is in good order.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent required, college level accounting/bookkeeping classes or diploma preferred.
- 2 years’ hands on experience in accounting, including accounts payable, invoicing, collections, financial statement preparation and payroll.
- Proficient using QuickBooks Desktop is considered an asset.
- Proven ability to work independently and effectively, with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and work efficiently.
- Demonstrated strong organizational abilities and high ethical standards
- Strong computer skills including MS Office and demonstrated experience with spreadsheets and automated accounting systems.
- Ability to sort, check, count, and verify numbers.
- Strong listening and communication skills (written and verbal) with the proven ability to follow-up effectively with all staffing levels along with external stakeholders and partners.
Please send your resume and cover letter to our recruitment partner at firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please submit a cover letter and a resume.