Pauktuutit Inuit Women of Canada
1 Nicholas Street, Suite 520
Ottawa, ON K1N 7B7
Toll Free: 1-800-667-0749
Reyna Uriarte, Manager, Health Policy and Programs
Canadian Inuit HIV AIDS Network (CIHAN)
Pauktuutit established the Canadian Inuit HIV/AIDS Network (CIHAN) to guide its HIV/AIDS programming in the Inuit regions and with particular Inuit groups. CIHAN functions as a consultative and advisory group to Pauktuutit’s sexual health program on matters pertaining to sexual health, hepatitis C and HIV/AIDS prevention, care and treatment among Inuit. CIHAN is Pauktuutit’s window on the regions and its pulse on Inuit communities. CIHAN members provide Pauktuutit with updates on their respective regions in the areas of sexual health, hepatitis C and HIV/AIDS. In this way, CIHAN helps to facilitate Pauktuutit’s outreach to Inuit communities and groups and collaborates with the Canadian Aboriginal AIDS Network. CIHAN also functions as a mechanism to share information on HIV/AIDS across all regions.
Pauktuutit and CIHAN project activities include:
- Raising awareness;
- Producing and distributing newsletters, posters, CDs, and training videos;
- Developing web-based information;
- Training for front line health workers;
- Supporting sexual health (including HIV and hepatitis C) fairs and walks in Inuit communities;
- Attending meetings to share information and encourage cooperation on sexual health; and
- Serving as advocates for Inuit at the national and regional levels.