Join our team today and make a difference for the future of Inuit Women
Pauktuutit Inuit Women of Canada (PIWC) is the national representative organization of Inuit women in Canada. We foster greater awareness of the needs of Inuit women, advocate for equality and social improvements, and encourage Inuit women’s full participation in the community, regional and national life of Canada.
By choosing PIWC, you are taking an active role in changing lives of Inuit. Likewise, PIWC recognizes your value and is dedicated to supporting you and creating environments that fits our employee’s diverse lifestyles. This includes benefits and perks such as: supplementary Health and Dental benefits; Cell Phone and Internet allowance or when we are in office, allowance for public transportation. We value your time and in addition to paid vacation, personal wellbeing days and recognition of public holidays, we celebrate holidays that recognize women and indigenous people. Our Social Committee are actively engaged in creating space to connect, share experiences, celebrate each other, and recognize our work. Join our team!
This position will be primarily based at our Ottawa, Ontario office; however, remote work is currently available and could potentially be permanent based on business needs as we move forward.
PIWC, as the national voice of Inuit women in Canada, has a key role to play in ensuring a gender-equality lens in policies impacting Inuit Women and in promoting greater progress in priority areas for Inuit women and children, across health and well-being, violence, and abuse prevention – safety, and socio-economic development. Our ability to do so depends heavily on partnerships across government departments and informing all decisions with the perspective of Inuit women.
We are seeking a skilled individual to fill the role of Junior Policy & Research Advisor to supports the development and implementation of Pauktuutit’s strategic policy priorities, research priorities and initiatives. This role will support the development of policy initiatives and/or implementation processes that are responsive to the realities facing Inuit women, both as employers and workers. An excellent communicator with an analytical mind, the Junior Policy & Research Advisor is focused on ensuring that data is analyzed and communicated in a concise way to further desired outcomes of Pauktuutit and its Funders.
As an ideal candidate, you are a self-motivated team player with exceptional collaboration skills.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assist with the development, implementation and monitoring/evaluation of successful projects and deliverables.
- Identify relevant funding sources and assist with the development of relevant project proposals and budgets.
- Represent the organization at a range of venues such as conferences, symposia, etc. as requested.
- Develop and maintain positive stakeholder and partnership relations.
- Assist with planning and/or facilitating workshops, meetings; work plan logistics/travel, etc.
- Travel to meetings or conferences when required.
- Assist with the development of meeting materials such as agendas, background materials and related matters.
- Provide quarterly reports to the Board of Directors, Advisory Committee(s) and others as required.
- Ensure timely and adequate internal and external reporting and documentation.
Administrative/Other responsibilities include:
- Communicate appropriately about sensitive issues.
- Participate in training and professional development initiatives as required.
- Ensure the confidentiality of all files where appropriate.
- Post-secondary in community development, sociology, gender studies, or other relevant subject or equivalent combination of education and experience working on issues impacting Inuit people.
- 3+ years of experience providing assessment and analysis within the context of multifaceted projects, preferably for as related to Inuit or indigenous people.
- 3+ more years’ experience in social welfare within a government/public service context
- 3+ years of experience in designing training and capacity building programs in accordance with Results Based Management principles and with strong gender equality components
- 2+ years of experience working with federal, provincial, territorial, northern, urban government officials and funding organizations
- Team player, focused on mobilizing and leveraging capacities and interests towards project outcomes
- Experience in community-based research, analyzing information and policy experience related to matters of priority to Inuit, advisory committees and understanding of government policy matters for Inuit.
- Knowledge of current political and health, violence and abuse prevention, and socio-economic issues of Inuit highly desirable.
- Exceptional communication skills – verbal and written, to prepare and present complex research analyses, evidence-based decision-making results, policy reports, speeches, and briefing notes.
- Demonstrated experience analyzing data and communicating it concisely.
- Experience working with federal, provincial, territorial, northern, urban, and international governments and officials.
- Spoken and written Inuktut language is desirable. French is an asset.
Pauktuutit is a small but mighty team of individuals who work to improve the quality of life for all Inuit women. Our mission is to foster a greater awareness of the needs of Inuit women and create change to advance women’s full social, economic, and cultural participation in communities in Inuit Nunangat, as well as cities across Canada where Inuit live.
Pauktuutit is an equal opportunity employer, with policies and practices intended to build an inclusive, accessible, and respectful work environment. We strongly encourage applications from Inuit and other Indigenous people. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, and regulations.
We are committed to accommodating individuals with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations, please indicate so in your application.
How to apply:
We thank all applicants for their interest in Pauktuutit; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.