Join our team today and make a difference for the future of Inuit Women
Pauktuutit Inuit Women of Canada (PIWC) is the national representative organization of Inuit women in Canada. We foster greater awareness of the needs of Inuit women, advocate for equality and social improvements, and encourage Inuit women’s full participation in the community, regional and national life of Canada.
As Director of Communications you have a tremendous opportunity to provide thought leadership, build mutually beneficial relationships and enhance PIWC policy and program work to advance PIWC’s mission to improve the safety and socioeconomic well-being of Inuit women and children in communities in Inuit Nunangat, as well as urban centres.
The Director of Communications is responsible for leading the design and execution of Pauktuutit’s communications and engagement strategy to broaden the reach and deepen the impact of PIWC.
The role will strengthen PIWC by increasing the impact of the organization’s expertise, policy and program work. This will be accomplished by strategic analysis of current and emerging opportunities for communications, working collaboratively with colleagues across the organization and enhancing relationships with our partners including other Inuit and women’s organizations, government departments and agencies and communities in Inuit Nunangat and urban centres.
In addition to working closely with colleagues, the Director of Communications oversees the work of communications contractors to help drive communications innovation and support business priorities.
Responsibilities will include:
Communications strategy and development
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, develop PIWC’s strategic plan for Communications and Public Affairs;
- Design and manage public affairs and communications programs to support PIWC’s strategic objectives;
- Build and strengthen internal collaboration with, and support for, other functional departments at PIWC, such as Executive, Projects, Policy and Research, to increase the success of PIWC’s mission and goals.
- Oversee the development of PIWCs external communications, in support of PIWCs strategic objectives and public affairs plan.
- Serve as a point of introduction and provide oversight and guidance to PIWC’s policy and program teams with respect to public affairs, media engagement and crisis communications; and
- Build and sustain networks, relationships and partnerships with other Inuit and women’s organizations, journalists, government officials, allies and key stakeholders.
- Coordinate communications campaigns to increase awareness of project activities and PIWC’s role on the national stage;
- Oversee PIWC’s website and social media platforms; and write or direct writing, editing and distribution of all major communications content, internally and externally;
- Own and oversee PIWC brand guidelines, to ensure consistency across all platforms and public materials to project a consistent and positive image in all engagements;
- In collaboration with PIWC’s policy and program teams, oversee preparation, design and production of communications materials that support PIWC’s policy advocacy and program work;
- Represent PIWC in local/regional/national planning initiatives, committees, conferences and meetings that are related to PIWC’s mandate;
- Coordinate outreach to and engagement of Inuit women in political advocacy and departmental project activities;
- Design and manage special campaigns / projects supported by Project Management and implemented with the assistance of external communication partners.
- Create and inspire a collaborative, results oriented communications team to support PIWC’s vision and mission;
- 10+ Years work experience preferably in Communications;
- Experience in managing and mentoring staff;
- Experience in initiating and building partnerships with external organizations;
- Experience in editing and proofing to deadline;
- Experience designing and managing internal and external communications;
- Experience managing media content and contacts; and
- Experience planning, coordinating and hosting events and meetings.
- 10+ years of experience in a communications role developing, implementing, and evaluating communications strategies and initiatives;
- Language – Fluency in English; working knowledge of Inuktut (oral and written) is desirable;
- Experience working with Inuit; and knowledge of the current political, social and economic conditions of Inuit are highly desirable;
- Experience working within an organization focused on Inuit women’s issues is an asset;
- Experience leading employee and leadership communication efforts;
- Current knowledge of digital communications techniques and social media engagement; and
- Degree in Communications with an emphasis in public relations, business or related field or an acceptable combination of education and experience
Pauktuutit is a small but mighty team of individuals who work to improve the quality of life for all Inuit women. Our mission is to foster a greater awareness of the needs of Inuit women and create change to advance women’s full social, economic and cultural participation in communities in Inuit Nunangat, as well as cities across Canada where Inuit live.
Pauktuutit is an equal opportunity employer, with policies and practices intended to build an inclusive, accessible and respectful work environment. We strongly encourage applications from Inuit and other Indigenous people. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, and regulations.
We are committed to accommodating individuals with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations, please indicate so in your application.
How to apply:
Please submit a cover letter, with your resume, to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Pauktuutit; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.